Tip # 2: 消滅 “Of” (改寫介系詞片語)
- The blood pressure of the mice was elevated.
- The elephant teetered along the edge of the cliff.
- The focus of this project was to study the effects of increased global temperatures on local fish hatcheries.
- The blood pressure of the mice was elevated. [8 words]
- The elephant teetered along the edge of the cliff. [9 words]
- The focus of this project was to study the effects of increased global temperatures on local fish hatcheries. [19 words]
- The mice’s blood pressure was elevated. [6 words]
- The elephant teetered along the cliff’s edge. [7 words]
- This project examined how increased global temperatures affect local fish hatcheries. [11 words]
- 改成所有格: 許多高度相關的情況下，例如兩個名詞之間的所有權，就可以刪掉中間的介詞。例如，句子中有「Noun1 of Noun 2」或「Location1 in Location2」，直接將第二個名詞往前移併加上「’」 變成Noun1’s Noun2。
- The approval of the Food and Drug Administration was received yesterday. → The Food and Drug Administration’s approval was received yesterday.
- The studies were conducted at Max Laboratories in Chicago. → The studies were conducted at Chicago’s Max Laboratories.
- 改成主動語態:當被動語態的句子後面跟著「by」的時候 (Noun1 was/were + past participle + by + Noun2)，把by後面的名詞改成句子主詞寫成主動語態。
- The approval of the plan was given by the committee. → The committee approved the plan yesterday.
- 替換副詞形式: 某些介係詞片語可以改的更為堅定，例如:由「with」開頭的片語。
- The seller agreed with reluctance. → The seller reluctantly agreed.
- He spoke with hesitation when he accepted the deal. → He spoke hesitantly as he accepted the deal.
- By chance, I finished work on time. → Fortuitously, I finished work on time.
- 改成更精準的動詞: 有些介係詞片語可以用更有力、精準的動詞替換掉。可多加注意動詞使用「get」和「make」。
- He got to the finish line. → He reached the finish line.
- Increased benefits can make up for long working hours. → Increased benefits can offset long working hours.
- 避免動詞名詞形 (請參考縮減字數:避免動詞名詞形)
- In our current situation, we should decline the offer. → We should decline the offer.
- 嘗試wh-子句: 動詞跟「說」(例:ask, say, admit, argue, reply, agree, mention, explain, suggest, etc.) 或「心理狀態」像是 thinking、studying和deciding (例: know, understand, suppose, remember, forget, wonder, study, examine, decide, etc.)有關的，建議大膽嘗試wh-子句來寫出有力簡潔的句子。
- The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of solar radiation on bioluminescence. → This study examined how solar radiation affects bioluminescence.
- Our mission was to conduct an investigation into the relationship between sunlight and plant growth. → We investigated how sunlight affects plant growth.
- The house of my mother sat on a big hill.
- The licensing of the software will be completed next week.
- The variables changed with little difference.
- The aim of our research was to assess the correlation between variable A and DNA replication rates.
- This paper was written to explore the way in which extra recess time and the test performance of students are related.
- To get back to you, we are looking back on what was done to figure out what we can do moving forward. [This one’s hard. How short can you make this one?]
- My mother’s house sat on a big hill.
- The software licensing will be completed next week.
- The variables hardly changed.
- Our research aimed to assess how variable A affects DNA replication rates.
- This paper explores how extra recess time affects students’ test performance.
- We are examining the past to determine how we should proceed.